Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Overdue surgey info...DoomsDay!

Sorry for the wait, but it's been such a roller coaster since surgery.  Basically, to sum up my surgery experience, this sucked.  I had to check in at the hospital at 7am, waited a little bit before i was taken back to prep and holding.  While gowned, scrubbed, and stuck in a bed, I found out that the last set of lab tests did not get sent to the hospital properly.  The nurse said we might have to postpone this...  Nurses scrambling, phone calls being made, basically amounts to the lab didn't follow instructions.  No pregnancy test was done.  Apparently, you have to verify you are not pregnant before they will perform surgery.  Okay, that makes sense.  If you said something about 40 minutes ago I could have told you I had a tubal ligation more than 10 years ago...  Yeah, next.  After this, the anesthesia nurse says "These piercings HAVE to come out."  No.  They don't.  The surgeon said they're okay.  Really.  Okay, go ask him.  So i got to keep my dermal implants, but i lost my bridge piercing (that will interfere with your mask) and my nipple piercings (WTF? You're not supposed to worry about my boobs in this?!?!).  It was surgery or piercings.  I had to pick.  Dammit.  Surgery was the easy part.  I was wheeled into the surgery suite, wrapped in a blanket and that was ll i remember.

After surgery was kinda cloudy.  I sort of remember being wheeled into my room.  I was in a private suite across from the nurses' station. 7th floor east, room 17.  The room was spacious with a huge window overlooking the daycare center.  I slept a lot.  I was hooked up to an IV in my right wrist with a lovely little call button for morphine.  Within 4 hours of surgery i was up and to the restroom, then for a short walk in the hall.  Everything went fine the first day.  I was thirsty, but i knew that had to wait.  Lip balm was the best invention ever that first day.  The horrors did not begin until Tuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment