Thursday, June 2, 2011

Two days after...

Wednesday was rather a blur.  I kept blowing out IV lines...  The first IV started leaking out of my wrist.  The IV nurse they sent up to my room couldn't find a vein for 10 minutes, then she hit a valve and bent the needle in my arm.  She then tapped out and sent for another IV nurse.  This one listened to me blathering on in pain (no IV meds for about 4 hours now) that my veins suck and they hide, and no one has ever successfully hit a vein in the crook of my elbow.  She ignores me.  "See, hit a vein first time."  Okie.  Maybe i was wrong.  (Like that happens  =P )  I was exhausted and decided just to nap.  When i woke up, the hubby was helping me out of bed and i ask him what was tied on my arm...  Looked down and saw that my entire upper arm has swelled up to thigh size!! (and my thighs aren't little here, peoples)  Yeah, she didn't hit a vein.  I had hours of IV meds going directly into the tissue of my arm...

**fast forward through several more IV attempts and quite a few bouts of pukings**

By the end of Wednesday, i still couldn't keep down any water or ice chips.  My stomach was still swollen shut.  Radioactive dish soap test #2 had the same results.  I was supposed to be out of the hospital Wednesday.  I was stuck.  Stuck and vomiting.  A lot. 

Thankfully, the nursing staff was excellent.  I kept apologizing to everyone when i was sick, or when i needed help.  I cried on one nurse after i vomited so hard i peed on the floor.  One of my most embarrassing moments ever.  She gently hugged me and said i was fine, not to worry.  I really wish i was with-it enough to remember everyone's name.  I'd love to thank them all personally.  The Christiana nursing staff was really on-point.

My IV was finally situated, i got my morphine back, and they added some steroids to the IV cocktail mix to try and get my stomach to behave..

I was guessing Wednesday was the low point and it HAD to get better...  Right??

1 comment:

  1. OMG~ I am VERY anxiously awaiting some good news; your story is so scary. I'm hoping you are now on the mend and that you will be able to drink something nourishing soon. Good luck! Terry

    ReplyDelete