Wednesday, June 8, 2011

OMG, Pancakes!!! Err... umm... Pancake!!

I went out to dinner last night.  15 days post surgery.  I was craving pancakes and got the okay from the doc at my follow-up appointment.  Apparently, pancakes are smooshy enough that they can be considered part of the pureed diet.  Whodathunkit?  Anywho, the hubby and i went out to the local IHOP without the kids.  That, in and of itself, was glorious.  We perused the menu together since i wasn't eating much.  Figured out that their scrambled eggs special sounded like something i was brave enough for.  Scrambled eggs with mushroom, onions, and cheese.  Sides of hash browns, 4 sausages, and 2 pancakes.  Pre-surgery, i would have inhaled that without thinking.  Last night, i sipped on my coffee... little tiny sips... until the food arrived.  I waited and had conversation with the hubby while my coffee processed through my sleeve.  I ate tiny bites of the eggs.  Frickin' delicious!!  I put my fork down between bites and made sure i talked a little to pace myself.  I moved some pancakeage over to another plate so i had one single pancake in front of me.  Carefully dissecting the pancake into tiny pieces, i cut up about a third of it, added a little bit of the butter pecan syrup (my favorite at IHOP... they seriously need to bottle it... or i need bigger pockets...) and carefully dove it.  OMFG!!  It was painful-good!!  I ate tiny pieces of pancakeygoodness for almost 15 minutes.  Chewing like mad, i kept hoping that IHOP would not be the first public place i puked in.  And it worked!!  Success!! Almost a third of a pancake!!  I got about 10g of protein in from the egg and cheese.  I know pancakes aren't really good for me at this point but it was sooooo good for my brain!! 

Looking over, i saw that hubby had demolished his big huge omelet, pancakes, hash browns, etc, and was looking a little uncomfy.  My plate looked like i hadn't touched it.  It made me chuckle... The waiter kept eyeballing me when he walked past.  After the 4th or 5th trip past, he stopped and asked if the food was okay, if i need anything fixed, if anything was wrong, if there was something he could do....  I had to explain that it was delicious, but i just had surgery and can only eat a little bit at a time.  He looks confused, but relieved that the food was okay, and offered to bring some boxes over.  I think i just publicly came out of the surgery closet!! LOL

So, dinner was a success.  The hubby was a little uncomfortable about eating in front of me still, but i told him it doesn't bother me.  I was full and happy.... AND i have enough leftover eggs for a few days!!  Yay, protein!

Now i just need to work on that evil little fatgirl voice in my head... The one that says, "That was good. Eat some more. One more bite."  It's wonderful that the sleeve has a louder voice that says, "Fullish now.  Puking is bad.  Don't make me do it! I will so make you puke in IHOP!!"  I am Clockwork Orange conditioned now, methinks.  Food is good.  More food = puking. Puking = bad....

No comments:

Post a Comment