Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Terrible Tuesday...

Monday (May 23rd) night was hard.  Sleeping in a weird place always is.  I was trying to keep my facebook updated through the night since i wasn't sleeping well, and i had to sleep sitting up since i was having a little trouble swallowing...

In the morning, i got up, used the restroom and went for a walk before my "swallow test" was scheduled.  I had a few ice chips to munch on, too.  Ice chips are soooo wonderful when you haven't had anything at all.  Went for another quick walk to try and clear up the tummy gurgle the ice chips produced.  Seems as thought i felt "sloshy" for lack of a better word.  Eeeew.  Thought you have to love the hospital escourt service.  Wheeled (very quickly, holycrapmonkies!) down to the testing lab.  In the testing lab, i explained that i couldn't really lay down on their table because i was having a little trouble swallowing since surgery, so they raised the tilt table for me.  I was xrayed and the table was brought to a full standing position.  The tech handed me a cup of what looked like clear dish soap.  She asked if i ever had a barium test before, and i said yes, years ago.  She said ," This is WAAAY worse.  Just swallow fast."  Oh good.  Now that I have that to look forward to... Thanks.  She was right, though.  Tasted pretty much as it looked.  The lab doc waited a few minutes and started up the xray again.  Turn this way.  Turn that way. Raise your arm.  Smile.  No, i was just kidding...  Yeah, hilarious.  The doc looks at the screen and points and says "That is your new stomach."  Wow.  Spiffy.  Well, how come that radioactive dish soap isn't going in there?  It just looks like a big glowing orb on top on my stomach.  "Looks like it's resting in your esophagus.  Take another big gulp, please."  Crap.  Eeeew. Gross.  Okay.  **gulp**  Ouch.  Umm, this is uncomfortable now.  He says to swallow hard a few times.  Yeah, something is stuck, put more pressure on it.  OUCH.  The lab doc looks pensive and says to turn this way.  Now swallow again.  OUCHFRIGGINOUCH!!!  Yep.  I had a nightlight stuck in my espohagus.  My stomach had completely swollen shut.  Thus the sloshy all night.  Nothing was getting into my stomach.  Spit, ice chips, everything i swallowed just sat there.  If i moved wrong, it just came back up my espohagus.  Apparently, this radioactive dish soap is bad for your lungs, so i was ordered not to lay down until i could clear this test.  We would try again Wednesday.  Oh, goody.  So my Tuesday was spent sitting up or walking.  No more ice chips, no water.  At least i wasn't strong enough to try and kill someone...I love you too, morphine button  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment