Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Scrambled diet... Yer doin' it wrong...

I began my pre-op liquids on saturday.  Thankfully, my surgeon said i had done well enough in the preceeding months, i didnt need 2 weeks of liquids, just one!!  Yay!!

Saturday began with my instruction to have 7 lovely Opti-Fast medically supervised diet stuff shakes.  My flavor options were chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, chicken and tomato.  Tomato scared me, so i went with a combo of the others.

Much whining, yelling, emotional outbursts, and food-mourning ensued for the next 3 1/2 days...Now enter the nutritionist appointment...

So, i was getting used to my pre-op, finally getting over the crankies, and my nutritionist changed it all today...

I was originally on 7 Opti-Fast shakes and one frozen entree (Lean Cuiseine style) per day. (optional addition foods include sugar-free jello or chicken/beef/veggie broth)  At my appt today, the nutritionist was going over my food log and said "What?!?! Why are you eating?!?!"  I explained that it's what the surgeon's office said.  She said "Nuh-uh. They're doing it wrong."  **pout**
Now I'm on 6 Opti-Fast shakes a day and one Opti-Fast nutrition bar. Sooooo, back to the surgeon's office to buy a $21 box of bars.  I took the opportunity to trade in some of the shakes (that i bought last week) while I was there.  None of the Opti-Fast shakes are delicious, but the vanilla was
sooo off-putting to me... even with added flavor extracts.  Ewwww.  Blargh!  Just wasn't staying down.  Egads.  The chocolate is my staple now.  The best of the bunch.  And i have one strawberry shake a day, and one chicken shake a day.  Yep, i said chicken shake.  It's called chicken soup, but you can't add hot water....ergo:  chicken shake.
Anywho, the Opti-Fast chocolate peanutbutter bars are rather alot like your basic soy-protien bars.  Not great, but not bad either.  At least they're filling.
So, 3 1/2 days to go until clear fluids.  I'm stocked up on Crystal Light, Propel water, broth, sugar-free popsicles, and sugar-free Jell-o.  This isn't as bad as i thought, though the brain-hungry gets me now and then and i pout a little at my family eating dinner...(sneaky me, i planned dinners this week that i don't really enjoy..heh!).

Yay!  6 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment