Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Backstory: What's a VSG...

On May 23rd, 2011, I am going to have 6 incisions made in my abdomen.  The docs are going to shove a drain tube in my side, cut and suture my stomach from valve to valve, and remove the curve of my stomach.  Essentially this leaves me with a banana shaped/sized stomach (which is ironic, since i hate banananananas).  This, my friends, is a Vertical Gastric Sleeve (VGS) or a Vertical Sleeve Gastrecetomy (VSG).  I'm doing this for a number of reasons.  Mostly because I'm tired of carrying around so much excess weight.  Partly because I have stomach polyps that could result in malignant cancer if left unchecked.  Partly because of my arthritis that has settled into my lower spine. My sister would say I'm doing this because I'm an attention-whore... but my lovely family is being saved for a whole 'nother set of posts!

This is not a gastric bypass.  There is no re-routing of plumbing.  Food goes in and comes out of the stomach normally, it just doesn't have as much space to dance around on the way through.  This is considered major surgery.  Very few people in my life know what I'm having done.  My family is not supportive, never has been, so they do not know.  Most of my co-workers do not know.  The hubby and the kids know, and are crazy-supportive.

I don't want to be judged based on this decision.  I'm already judging myself.  I can't lose weight on my own, so I'm resorting to surgery.  This isn't the easy way.  Months of testing and poking and prodding and classes and food journals.  I have to give up caffeine, nicotine, and sugars.  I need to start sweating, on purpose, while not on a piece of furniture with the hubby.  But I think i need this.

Since Feb 16th (my consultation with the surgeon) I am down 20 lbs.  I have insane amounts of knowledge about protein and nutrition.  I am learning how to make pureed baby-food-like-meals.  I passed my written Nutrition/Life class last night with a 100%.  I just wish I had more people to celebrate these small victories with.

...wow, that must have been the attention-whore thing my sister talks about.

No comments:

Post a Comment