Friday, April 13, 2012

A Timely Update....

Well, we're a little closer to an answer now.  I had another upper EGD this morning at the hospital GI lab.  The horribly expensive Prevacid SoluTabs have helped and my frankenstomach ulcers are healing.  The ulcerations in my intestine are also looking better.  Unfortunately, while scoping my small intestine, the surgeon discovered that my jejunum has twisted causing a slight obstruction.  He was able to get the scope through the obstruction with "some wiggling and a bit of force," so he believes that fluids are passing through fine, but this may be the reason I've been having so much trouble with solids.  My last food intake was around 8pm, my last drink of water was at 11pm.  When the EGD was done around noon today there was still remnants of solids trapped in the intestinal twist.  Food is getting trapped at the sight and being forced back upwards, thus causing the ulcerations and the massive amount of pain I've been having. 

Now I have to go for a barium test to identify how bad the twist has obstructed my intestinal movement.  I'm going for an "Upper GI with Small Bowel Follow Through" on May 3rd.  That was the earliest appointment I could get.  I have to watch for signs of the twist getting tighter and may be in for an emergency room visit between now and then...

For those of you just joining us, I have a modified gastric bypass.  I originally went in to get a gastric sleeve and stomach polyp removal done May 23rd, 2011.  By the middle of June, my sleeve had fully strictured and healed itself shut.  I was given a much unwanted bypass in July.  This was followed by another modification surgery every 2 months due to strictures and over healing.  Surgery #5 was in January. I have lost most of my actual stomach tissue (except for a 1cm x 3cm band at the end of my esophagus), I have lost all of my duodenum (the first part of the small intestine), and my frankenstomach is now made of my jejunum (the second part of the small intestine).   Hello, I am the 0.001% Poster Child.  I am a walking Complication Machine. 

And the machine rolls on....

No comments:

Post a Comment