Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Yay! Even more TMI...

So, after my first encounter with the evil Fleet bottle and a brief few days of feeling better, the feeling better stopped.  After another week of no BMs, I had to resort to the same measures.  This time, it didn't help as much.  I still had the "brick in my gut" feeling afterwards.  After talking to the doc I realized that I had another intestinal impaction.  He said that if the impaction was in the beginning of my intestines, that the Fleet might not travel that far to relieve it.  He suggested I try some Magnesium Citrate.  Soooo, off to the pharmacy...  If you've never had the pleasure of trying it, Magnesium citrate is a 10oz beverage that is usually available in either lemon or cherry flavors.  My pharmacy only had lemon, so that's what I got.  I put it in the fridge while I tried to figure out exactly how my 2 oz "stomach" was going to ingest 10 oz of this med.  The bottle recommends drinking the entire bottle for patients over 12.  Well, since my stomach is tiny, maybe I can just drink half of a bottle...

Tuesdays morning I got brave.  I took the bottle out of the fridge, steeled my resolve, and started sipping.  It wasn't as bad as I thought.  It just tastes like very salty lemonade.  Not delicious, but tolerable.  After about 2 oz, I started feeling very full and a little queasy.  I put the bottle down and headed for the bathroom, figuring if I was going to heave, I might as well not have to clean it up... then the gut started gurgling... then the pain started.  Imagine if you will, a cinderblock moving slowly through your intestines.  Yeah, that's what it felt like.

Without grossing you out too much, I was in and out of the bathroom every 30 minutes for the next seven hours.  Then it was once an hour.  Then it was a few times over night.  Then it woke me up this morning.

Needless to say, the problem is now fixed!  Whoohooo!  I feel like I ran a marathon yesterday, but my gut feels soooo much better.  I'm exhausted.  I'm spending today relaxing on the couch.

I'm watching a talk show about Pro-Ana lifestyles.  I kind of relate.  I don't understand how 70 lb girls think they're fat.  I was over 430 lbs at my heaviest, so I guess I'll never really relate, but I understand not liking food anymore.  Food has been mean to me.  Puking sucks.  But man, if I could eat one, I'd love to have a sandwich.  When this whole mess started I had dreams of being thinner.  I never wanted to be "skinny."  I just wanted to be thinner.  My goal weight is still over the doctor's recommended guidelines.  I think 150 would be nice.  The guidelines say I'm supposed to be closer to 130 to be at a healthy weight for my height.  I'm still fat, and I'm weirded out by the fact that I can feel my ribs and my collarbones.  Never in my adult life have I been able to actually feel my bone structure.  It's weird.  I can't imagine being 70 lbs.  I just want to feed these people sandwiches.  Sandwiches are delicious.  I can't eat a sandwich, dammit, but they can.  I often think that I'm stuck in the middle of a medically supervised eating disorder.  I hate eating and I puke a lot.  None of this is really of my own choosing.  I see a lot of posts on the surgery support boards that sound like people are choosing and ED mindset... quite a few people have posted that they eat food they're not supposed to and then just induce vomiting to "get rid of it."  This pisses me off to no end.  I have to fight to keep my food down.  I have to struggle to get my calories up every day.  I want to find a way to slap people through the computer...  If you're doing this, stop.  If you can't stop, get help.

I'm going to eat half a popsicle now... Someday I hope to be able to eat a whole one... and I'm definitely going to try and not puke...  Mmmmmm.... popsicle....

2 comments:

  1. I have to ask... and know that I have a bad habit of curiosity, BUT... I know you didn't want a true bypass but medically they had to do it. Would you, knowing what you know now, suggest that people not have the surgery? Do you say anything to people who want an "easy fix?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't get me started on the "easy fix" business. That makes me want to punch people in the throat... I still think the gastric sleeve is a good idea and a great tool if you've exhausted every other means and are prepared for the commitment it requires. The bypass, not so much. I think the bypass is horribly too restrictive and unforgiving. Of course I have a "modified bypass" since I don't actually have a stomach at all anymore, so my case is a bit extreme... I could write a whole new post on this! LOL

    ReplyDelete