Monday, October 24, 2011

Long awaited updates... The 3rd surgery rundown...

My dearest apologies for making you wait so long, but I've been having a hell of a time lately.  My pain is still cranked up to a standard of 8 out of 10 most days, so the updates are slow to come.

Basically, on September 25th I had my 3rd (and hopefully final) surgery.  The doctor attached the little blind pouch of my stomach to my small intestine and used that attachment spot to make a larger stoma (the stomach exit).  My front Vagus nerve was severed to prevent the problems that I've had with stomach acid, and specifically to try and prevent future ulcerations. 

I also had a feeding tube inserted.  Since my teeny, tiny tummy is too small for a tube, i had it placed into my jejunum (the second part of the small intestines after the duodenum).  So, now I have a three pronged port protruding right below my bra-line on the middle of my abdomen.  Thankfully, the PEJ tube was only in case i had further complications.

I woke up in a fairly good amount of pain.  I was hooked up to a constant morphine pump with and "emergency button" for when i needed more.  Most of that day is rather blurry, but I do remember having several bouts of the hiccups.  OMG. PAIN.  Hiccups are one of the worse things ever with a PEJ tube.

I did the usual post surgery routine.  Walking.  Vital checks.  Reporting to the nurse how much i could pee.  You know the drill. ...except this time, the day after surgery i was given soft foods.  Not liquids.  Real actual pureed foods! Whoohoooo!  Everything was pretty much smooth sailing in the hospital and i was released on Thursday the 29th.

Pureed foods have been good to me.  I haven't been brave enough to venture any farther than that, though.  The tube hurts like hell still.  After I eat or drink, the tube twitches and pulls as foods move through my digestive system.  ...it pulls strong enough that you can see it.  Sneezing hurts.  Coughing HURTS.  Hiccups hurt a lot still.  Any kind of quick involuntary movement hurts and make the port on the end of the tube seep a thin brownish-green fluid...  Eeeeeeeeeewwwww.  This was thwarted by folding and taping the tube, essentially putting a kink in it to seal my juices in!

So now I've been walking around with a tube folded and taped to my gut.  It's interesting.  It still hurts like crazy all the time.  My stomach is great.  No problems with pureed food or drinks.  The PEJ tube hurts constantly.  I cant wait to get this thing out.  Hopefully soon...  I miss sleeping on my side...

1 comment:

  1. When the PEJ tube is removed, hopefully SOON, you will feel like a natural woman...Good name for a song. Best wishes for a full & speedy recovery, enough is enough! Terry

    ReplyDelete