Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Yep, I have medical proof that I'm a stubborn bitch...

My visit to the Weight Management doc today didn't go as well as I thought... My blood work came back pretty bad.  I'm deficient in Vitamin D, B-12, Thiamine, and protein.  My levels are scary-low.  The doc said "The only reason you are still able to function is because you're a stubborn bitch.  I've seen better levels in ICU patients."   Keep in mind that this doc has seen me from the get-go and knows how I am, so I was not offended in the least...

I'm supposed to pay close attention to any numbness or tingling feelings, and watch for any difficulties or signs of a stroke.  Apparently malnutrition can make you more susceptible to stroke.  Great.

I got an Rx for Vitamin D 5000 IU once a week (little gelcaps) and was told to discuss my Thiamine levels with the surgeon.  I have to take twice my usual dose of B-12, and try and get more protein in.

I have a follow up with the surgeon scheduled for tomorrow, so I'll write a more in-depth post after that one.  I've got nothing quirky or snarky to add.  This kind of scares me.

1 comment:

  1. Part of what I love about you is that you are a stubborn bitch. You don't 'woe is me' all the time and you're doing the best you can with what you have... or don't have.

    Everyday I see you on MFP, I worry for you. I wish I were closer and could support you more. Try not to be too brave and listen to your body. It's ok to over-react, and it's NOT over-reacting, if it saves your life.

    <3

    ReplyDelete