Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Big Words Aren't Always Fun...

Big word of the day: Gastroparesis. I has it. Basically, my stomach and small intestines are paralyzed, no longer moving food and fluids. My peristalsis is broken. I start new meds tomorrow to try and force peristalsis. Follow-up with the surgeon in 4 weeks. No new surgery for now...
 So. my surgeon  gave me an Rx for Reglan liquid to try to get my stomach and intestines moving again.  He said the twist in my intestines isn't fully closed and is allowing liquids through, so we'll try and deal with that after we get my guts moving the way they're supposed to. 
 I was told to take more pain meds.  I tried to explain that I have a choice between not hurting OR actually functioning around the house.  I prefer to function and hurt.  My doctor disagrees.  He wants me to try and keep the pain at a "low level" because I seem to think that being in pain is manageable.  He wants me to be pain-free.  The surgeon pointed out that I still have half of my pain meds left... that was an Rx from March for a 10 day supply.  He's very insistent that I take my pain meds the way I'm supposed to.

I suppose I'll go take some narcotics and try to take a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment