Friday, December 30, 2011

Fourth time's the charm.... Right?!?!

On December 20th I went into the hospital for my 4th surgery, a Gastro-Jejunostomy Revision.  Basically, I lost a bit more strictured stomach tissue (my real true "stomach tissue" is now a less than 1 1/2 x 3 centimeters band) and the surgeon rebuilt a small pouch for a "stomach" out of the small intestines.  I have 5 more laproscope incisions and another drain scar.  I have started back at square one.  My surgeon said to treat this operation like a brand new bypass.  For the next 2 days, I was given clear liquids and switched from IV pain meds to liquid pain meds. 

My followup gastrograffin test was cleared.  This was the first gastrograffin test that did not get stuck.  Went right through.  I am amazed.  I went home 2 days later, so far free of complications.

The liquids-only phase was a little rough, getting used to drinking again was a bit weird after being on IV nutrition for a while. 

Thankfully, I've moved on to purees without a problem.  My new tummy holds approximately 2oz and hasn't given me much of a problem yet.  My pain is still pretty bad now and then.  My surgeon tells me I'm "too stoic" and "hard to read"... he has become accustomed to me saying I'm fine and not meaning it.  I've gotten better about taking my pain meds when I'm supposed to.  I think part of my brain thinks I deserve to be in pain.  I did this to myself.  That's hard to get around sometimes...

I have been out of work since May.  Hopefully, I can go back by February.  I feel useless still.  I'm recovering from some major abdominal trauma, so i have to take it easy, but taking it easy is hard for me to accept still...

I've been out of commission on here alot since my desk chair hurts me.... dang abdominal pain...  But I made it.  I'm still here.  And 2012 HAS to be a better year...

1 comment:

  1. May 2012 be a happy & HEALTHY year for you. Don't put yourself on a guilt trip. You had the original surgery in hopes of greatly improving your health...Man plans & G-d laughs. Now it's your turn to laugh!

    ReplyDelete